Sunday, November 13, 2011

OOPS!


During Wednesday night's CNBC Republican debate in Rochester, Michigan; Texas Governor Rick Perry may have solidified his standing as the worst debater among the GOP candidates. He responded to a question, "I will tell you: It's three agencies of government, when I get there, that are gone: Commerce, Education and the -- what's the third one there? Let's see. ... OK. So Commerce, Education and the -- ... The third agency of government I would -- I would do away with the Education, the ... Commerce and -- let's see -- I can't. The third one, I can't. Sorry. Oops” (Todd Graham). After the debate Perry attempted to lighten the mood by commenting, "I'm sure glad I had my boots on, because I sure stepped in it out there” (Todd Graham).
Perry’s folly was truly astounding based on the irrelevancy of his answer. He was asked a question concerning his approach to “working with Democrats across the aisle.” However, in an attempt to project a confident appearance, Perry expressed his desire to cut three government agencies, but forgot the last one! His answer was a futile response to Ron Paul’s declaration that, if elected, he would disband five agencies of government.  Perry’s attempt to consolidate and solidify his own policy, to disband “unnecessary” government agencies, backfired upon his nervous blunder (Todd Graham). Perry was asked to recall the forgotten third government agency several times, however he could not summon his answer.
Unfortunately for Perry, debates play an essential role in creating a “buzz” about a candidate. Although Perry later affirmed that the third agency he would abolish is The Department of Energy, his lacking debate skills and unfamiliarity with popular issues will have a detrimental effect on his campaign.
The Texas Governor’s lack of awareness and certainty in former debates may have cast a bad first impression among possible supporters. In response, his campaign expressed their confidence that Perry would redeem himself in more recent debates. However, Perry’s “oops” may have solidified his negative impression and influenced his probable impending failure.
The Perry campaign began backtracking on Thursday by presenting Perry as a human, capable of being mistaken. Perry appeared on the David Letterman show in order to supplement his forgetfulness with comic relief. Perry explained, "Hey, listen. You try concentrating with Mitt Romney smiling at you. That is one handsome dude" (Foxnews). The Perry campaign also created a page on the candidate’s website, which allows viewers to participate in a poll expressing the government agency that they would like to see abolished. Perry has also invited supporters to donate five dollars for every government agency they “would like to forget” (CNN Wire Staff). One conservative blogger named Andrew Sullivan tweeted "Perry collapses. Cannot remember a list of three federal government departments he wants to abolish past the first two. Seriously. And then he says 'oops.' He has all but disappeared inside his suit in this debate and is now basically done” (CNN Wire Staff).
The Perry Campaign submitted a list during the Letterman show of the top ten reasons for his forgetfulness,
10. "Actually there were three reasons I messed up last night. One was the nerves, two was the headache and three was, and three, uh, uh. Oops." 
9. "I don't know what you're talking about. I think things went well." 
8. "Hey, I was up late last night watching `Dancing With the Stars."
7. "I thought the debate was tonight." 
6. "Hey, listen. You try concentrating with Mitt Romney smiling at you. That is one handsome dude." 
5. "Uh, el nino?" 
4. "I had a five-hour energy drink six hours before the debate." 
3. "I really hoped to get on my favorite talk show, but instead I ended up here." 
2. "Hey, I wanted to help take the heat off my buddy Herman Cain." 
1. "I just learned Justin Bieber is my father."




Works Cited: Todd Graham. http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/10/opinion/graham-debate-perry/index.html
Foxnews. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/11/11/perry-pokes-fun-at-debate-mistakes-on-letterman/#ixzz1ddA9pNIk

No comments:

Post a Comment